Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Joyless, Format-mandated illustration

I didn't include any pictures with the last few posts, which kind of violates the theme that I began the blog with, which was to publicize and distribute my art to the world. I felt and I still feel that this blog needs more focus, needs a theme and a point, as a literary critic might say. I toyed with the idea of doing book and movie reviews and doing a sort of themed illustration for each book or movie or TV show, just like these videos we used to watch in school where each episode would be about a particular book, and this guy would do an illustration while he talked about the book. I've never forgotten the one he did for the Forgotten Door, which is actually the only one I remember, so it might be the only one I actually saw in school, and maybe the only one the guy ever did, which is completely understandable if you think about how much of a hassle it was in school to review a book and read the report in class, even without being on camera, even without having to draw a picture from the story at the same time you're reading your book report. So it wouldn't surprise me if the guy gave up on his idea after one show, and it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't find anyone else to do it. 
As it is a hassle. In addition, sticking to a rule like "there has to be a picture for each blog post," kind of kills the improvisational nature of a blog post, by constraining me from making a post if I don't have time to draw a whole new picture, because I never have time and I would never post at all if I kept to that rule. 
On the other hand, no rules at all kind of leaves everything floating in space and I don't really know where to begin or end the post or whether there's any point to posting at all. Okay, so there has to be a picture.  This is a picture I drew at a meeting at work. 

It was a while ago, but I drew the picture and therefore it is valid content for the blog. Most of the people in the drawing have moved to other companies, and in any case none of them even remotely look like themselves. I can not capture a likeness at all, and by not being able to do this I have avoided a lot of trouble

No comments: