Thursday, December 20, 2012

New Verbal Progress Bar Feature

It's taking me too long to try and find time to draw a proper picture for my Douglas Adams entry, so I've basically given up on the authors series for a while. For those one or two readers who may have been looking forward to the next installment, have no fear. I fully intend to move on with the series, and I actually do perform work on that project every week, but I should communicate, as clearly as I am able to, the available free time per week that I am able invest in the authors project, in a sort of written verbal version of the progress bar that is universally used in all GUI software to give the user a quickly apprehended conception of a particular application's progress towards a particular task. I believe that this graphic may not always be imparting a perfectly honest image of the actual progress to the user, but I am firmly believing that the image has prevented more psychotic rages than any medication devised by man, simply by increasing the length of a colored bar by a few pixels every few seconds. But in cases where the process may be progressing at a rate too slow to be visibly indicated by the bar, the information imparted by the image can be agreeably enhanced by a numerical percentile or even absolute quantity of bytes loaded, indicated on or near the bar. This number or percentage can indicate slight change when the bar appears to be frozen, assuaging many an agitated nerve ending.
My verbal progress bar for this week is -90 minutes. The hyphen means "minus" or "negative", like "negative 20 degrees". Obviously this means I was not able to donate any time to the Douglas Adams tribute picture this week. I did not indicate zero minutes because that would indicate that if I had managed to spare 10 extra minutes of free time, I would have been able to briefly work on the Douglas Adams tribute picture. But any spare time up to 90 minutes or so last week would have been devoted to completing a project for a client of my advertising business. Only after working on the project for 90 minutes or so would I have felt justified in devoting some time to a personal project like the authors blog series. So I would say the current value for my verbal progress bar, or VPB, is -90 minutes. I hope this exercises a calming effect on any reader or readers who are overcome with anticipation for the next installment in the authors series.

No comments: